Nurses across the country will be honored May 6-12 during National Nurses Week, with many businesses and corporations – local and distant – offering special offers to express their thanks to the guardians who keep us safe and well- be.
President Richard Nixon started National Nurses Week in 1974. The special week always ends on May 12 when Florence Nightingale was born.
Nightingale rose to fame in the 1800s by recognizing during the Crimean War how sanitary conditions could lead to better patient outcomes. She and other nurses improved unsanitary conditions at a British base hospital and cut the number of deaths by two-thirds. This is why International Nurses Day is celebrated on May 12 every year.
The COVID-19 pandemic has brought to light the important work that nurses do. Businesses, restaurants and other entities are looking to celebrate nurses with special offers, giveaways and discounts.
The following list for you (or someone close to you) to start includes specials for nurses during their honor week, but it’s important to remember to check first that the specials are still in effect.
Plus, there are bound to be more local opportunities not listed here. It never hurts to ask when you enter a business – they might surprise you.
- Applebee’s is providing in-person nurses with verifiable ID a free appetizer with any admission purchase through May 15. However, each Applebee franchise can offer something different or more. Call toll-free at 888-592-7753 to view. The closest location is in McComb.
- Chipotle is giving 2,000 healthcare professionals free burritos for one year by appointment by tagging the nurse on the official Chiptoel Facebook, Instagram and Twitter sites. The deadline is May 6 and winners will be notified by direct message. The closest is in Starkville.
- Great American Cookies is offering a free Original Chocolate Chip Cookie through May 6 with any purchase and valid ID. You’ll find locations near Jackson and the Gulf Coast.
- Marble Slab Creamery will be offering nurses a free little ice cream until May 6 with valid ID. The closest is in Hattiesburg.
- Zaxby’s is offering a buy-in-one offer for its boneless wing meal today, May 3 only, while supplies last. This offer can be redeemed in person or on online orders. Order two and the second will be discounted when you pick it up.
- Samsung is offering medical professionals and first responders a cracked screen repair for $49.99 on select devices. Eligible customers also receive a $20 e-coupon to use on Samsung.com after their repair is complete.
- Adidas is honoring first responders, nurses, military and teachers with 30% off at adidas.com and in-store or 20% off at outlet stores. Must verify via ID.me.
- All seasons is offering 20% off nursing scrubs and medical uniforms with code NURSES20. Visit www.allseasonsuniforms.com.
- Amazon offers free books for nurses. To celebrate National Nurses Day, they’re offering four medical drama books to read with “Main Readingon a Kindle e-reader, Fire tablet, and the free Kindle app for iOS, Android, Mac, and PC.
- Get 25% off on Carhartyouwith me. It’s also good for military and first responders.
- Checker’s and Rally’s will provide a free meal to nurses in uniform at any
- McDonalds is offering free food to healthcare workers throughout the pandemic.
- Disney World offers special discounts for nurses at Swan and Dolphins resorts. Call 800-227-1500 and be sure to tell them you are a nurse.
- Starting May 10, Crocs is giving away 10,000 pairs of CROCS AT WORK™ to healthcare workers. To visit https://www.crocs.com/COVID19-REQUEST.html.
- Designers nurses and essential workers get 30% off shoes, free shipping and free returns through May 31. https://bit.ly/38LqZwa.
- Use the code THANKS to The fields to get 25% off a Nurses Week cookie.
- Save 50 percent on flower deliveries through the end of June by calling 1-800-Flowers.
- Join University of Mississippi Medical Center honoring the nurses who work tirelessly to save lives and build a healthier future for us all. Visit umc.edu/Office_of_Development/Nurses-Week.html.
- The Mississippi Nurses Association and Mississippi First Responders have partnered to offer Thriving & Surviving, a series of mini-webinars designed to provide quick and helpful tips on exercise, reducing stress, promoting well -being and navigating the pandemic with your family. The next one is set for May 5. Visit https://www.msnurses.org/resources/news/for more information.